Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Danger of a Single Story

This is not a new TED Talk, but well worth watching if you've never seen it before.  Nigerian-born, critically acclaimed novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie shares about what she terms "the danger of a single story."  I've re-read the transcript several times now, considering how her words illuminate not only the paper I'm working on at the moment, but also my relationships, my perception of self, and my perception of others.  Here is just one out of several favorite quotes from eighteen powerful minutes: 
"All of these stories make me who I am.  But to insist on only these negative stories is to flatten my experience and to overlook the many other stories that formed me.  The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete.  They make one story become the only story."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!