Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Vegan Maple Pecan Pancakes


It's Monday.  Couldn't we all use some pancakes?

I started making pancakes on the regular when I went on a crazy elimination diet almost two years ago.  Without corn, wheat, soy, dairy, gluten, yeast, sugar, etc. (and while trying to still eat a vegetarian diet), my options were pretty limited.

Enter the humble pancake.  It's such a flexible food, easily adaptable to any dietary restrictions or preferences.  Also, has anyone ever felt unhappy while eating pancakes?  They're just so cheerful.

I started experimenting with vegan baking when I moved to Portland, partially inspired by the need to come up with a good cookie I could share with my classmates while working on a group project.  One of the team members was vegan, though a few months later, I saw her snacking on goldfish crackers.  Still, I've found vegan baking to be a fun challenge, trying to create recipes that look good, taste great, and use (mostly) healthy ingredients.

Even though pancakes are supposedly one of the easiest foods to adapt to a vegan diet, I've found the texture to be tricky.  In previous attempts, my pancakes never seemed to get quite "done."  I realized that the lack of egg was probably the culprit, and decided to see if a chia egg could help bind the ingredients, as well as add the crispiness that I love in a good pancake.  It did!  

After some tweaking, I think I've finally found the elusive vegan pancake recipe.  What a great way to start the week!  Ready?


Vegan Maple Pecan Pancakes
Makes 8-10 pancakes

1 tbs chia seeds + 3 tbs water
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup barley flour
OR 1 cup your choice flour (buckwheat and oat flour are both nice gluten-free options)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup almond milk
1 tbs maple syrup
2 tbs melted coconut oil (plus more for pan)
1/3 cup lightly toasted pecans (plus more for serving)

Mix together chia seeds and water; let sit for about 15 minutes, or until ingredients form a gel.  This is your chia egg!

With a fork or whisk, lightly fluff together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Create a well in the middle, and add the almond milk and maple syrup, followed by the melted coconut oil.  Fold with a spatula to combine until just blended.

When the chia egg is set, add to batter, and stir to combine.  Add the pecans last.  You want to avoid over-mixing; we don't want a totally smooth batter.

**Alright, so this is where I've experimented, failed, and come up with my preferred cooking technique for vegan pancakes that are actually cooked all the way through, slightly crispy on the outside.  You may find that something different works with your stove and cooking equipment!**

Heat coconut oil in pan over low heat.  I use a gas stove, and turn the flame to slightly above low, but not quite medium low.  I find turning the heat any higher results in pancakes that cook too quickly on the outside, leaving mushy centers.  This is not the ideal outcome.  I also like to use a cast iron skillet, but this isn't necessary.  Give pan a few minutes to heat through completely, and don't skimp on the coconut oil!  Otherwise, the batter tends to stick to the pan.

Add batter 1/4 cup at a time, and cook until slightly browned on each side, approximately 3-4 minutes.  Serve with maple syrup, most toasted pecans, blueberries, or your favorite pancake topping!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!